The historic neighborhood of Brookhaven is split between the Atlanta suburb of Buckhead and the neighboring cities of Sandy Springs and Brookhaven, Georgia. While Brookhaven has been mostly a residential area for quite some time, the recent proliferation of eateries and other businesses has made it worth visiting. There has never been a time when Brookhaven wasn’t one of the most affluent communities in all of metro Atlanta. The median income there in 2010 was $236,395.
The Capital City Club country club serves as the focal point of the area, which is flanked by high-end residences, many of which were created by prominent pre-war Atlanta architects. The neighborhood is bounded by Windsor Parkway to the north, Peachtree Dunwoody Road to the west, Mabry Drive to the east, and Peachtree Road to the south, with no ambiguity as to its precise extents.
Oglethorpe University has a gorgeous Gothic campus that is ideal for fall photo ops. Several cultural exhibits and contemporary art are on show. The museum and university are located in the peaceful Brookhaven area, which is only a five-minute drive up Peachtree Road from Buckhead. Although there is a nominal fee to enter the museum on campus, exploring the rest of the grounds is free.
Although Brookhaven’s interior is stunning, the restaurant’s busy atmosphere makes it less than ideal for conversation. Visit the high end Brookhaven restaurants and try some of the popular starters like the truffled potato hay or the fried oysters. In essence, these are parmesan cheese atop crisp potato sticks. They come in enormous servings and have an extremely high addiction potential. The halibut and the duck breast are both excellent selections for the main course.
Somewhere around 1900, investors saw a need for a place to spend the summer, so they started building cottages for Atlanta residents. The Peachtree Golf and Country Club was built on the north side of Peachtree Road on 150 acres that were purchased in 1910. Golf pro from Garden City, Long Island, Herbert Barker, was responsible for the design of the nine-hole course that first opened in 1912. There were three distinct periods of development for these homes: Brookhaven Estates was conceived of in 1910, Country Club Estates was built in 1929, and the Carleton Operating Company was established in 1936.
Edwin P. Ansley, on his own, marketed the region as Oglethorpe Park and sold residential plots there. By the time the World War II ended, the historic district’s construction was nearly finished. In 1911, the Capital City Country Club changed its name to align with the Capital City Club in the city’s central business district. In 1915, there were nine holes instead of eighteen at the golf course. Preston Stevens oversaw construction of the clubhouse, which he built in the French Provincial style.